28.4.11

SHOW OF THE WEEK part deux

Just Amazing


It's always exciting for us when shows open at Craft Victoria. I was lucky enough to get a sneak peek at the new ones last night and I kind of went a bit swoony over Kate Just's Unearthed installation.



Beck had warned me that these strange and sinister objects would knock me out and she was right. They are extraordinary. These tool-like objects, that have seemingly been dug up from an imagined archaeological site, reference all sorts of vaguely gynaecological and surgical implements that can make you feel more than a little disturbed if you look at them for too long.



Some smart curator from a cashed up institution need to get down to 31 Flinders Lane pronto and snap the whole lot up. In terms of object making and fine art - this work incorporates the two seamlessly.



There are two other great shows opening tonight. I'll talk more about them tomorrow. I think it's best that we just leave you with this one today. RAMONA

No comments: