4.5.10

BOOK OF THE WEEK

Ridicule is nothing to be scared of...

Those that know me well will know that I was one of the 'Ant Army' back in the day so they'll get the title reference immediatley. For those who weren't inclined to paint liquid paper across the bridge of their nose during the 80's I'll make things a little clearer... the title of my Mothers Day advance book purchase.is a phonetic play on the Adam and the Ants track 'Prince Charming'. Although more likely it's a reference to the story book white steed riding Prince Charming.... I don't remember seeing the author's name on the fan club list back in the day. Anyhoo.

Prints Charming is the new book by Sydney based textile designers Cath Derksema and Kirsten Junor, who run their own print studio under the same name. I don't love everything they do, but I do love this book.

Right from the spiral binding and interior fabric collage you can tell this has been as well thought out as it has been laid out. Full of projects that I actually want to make without changing ALL the design elements - from this upholstered vintage chair (Matt there's you're Christmas present) to the simple laundry bag for my Nan.


There's a raft of options for Max, and this car printed apron, and mash up boardshorts will definately be getting a look in before the next trip to Hervey Bay...


Best of all however is the clarity of the process instructions... I have a BA in Textile Design, so you'd think I wouldn't need these, but I love a 'how to' reminder... and these step by steps are brilliant. You can tell they've been running classes for a while from their Sydney studio, these numbered panels are virtually idiot proof - which means that even with my sleep deprived brain I should be able to follow them!


They even supply you with the patterns in a handy little sleeve in the back of the book.


Over one hundred and fifty pages, 40 projects and multiple printing and embellishing techniques in one handy package. I liked it so much I even bought one for a friends 40th birthday present at the same time I bought mine. I won't be surprised if I get something straight from the pages for my (ahem) 40th birthday come June.
BECK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! I've just added it to my Mothers Day present list for this year.
x Lynka