20.6.13

CRAFT FAIL OF THE WEEK

the eye of the beholder


We've all been there I think. You see something amazing on Pinterest or on a blog and you think 'I could make that!'  There are now blogs dedicated to sharing these craft failures which I enjoy enormously. It's important to acknowledge that sometimes it's just not as easy as it looks. Professional makers are plagued by people looking at their work and assuming they could just do it if they had the right supplies, completely dismissing the skill needed to create the work.


Now I have to admit that I am guilty of this too! But I am here to confess. Last week I saw these amazing God's Eyes made by a maker in the US. Jay Mohler has been perfecting these for decades now but kindly put together a comprehensive pdf on how to make one for upstarts like me.


His work was amazing but I thought how hard could be? sticks and wool? I could make that! Pretty quickly too, and then I can put it on HML and everyone will oooh and aaaah at my brilliance....not.


I also looked at his impressive Etsy store and thought how could he charge so much for what is essentially a kid camp craft? Yeah, I'm an idiot of the highest order. These are really really hard to make, Even following his instructions and looking at youtube clips it took me nearly an hour just to get the first diamond started. Then to connect two sets of sticks together evenly? good grief!!! So take a look at Jay's amazing work here, read more about him here and now look at my valiant but failed effort below.
gods eye? yeah I don't think so
I'm not giving up though, because once I got going it was so much fun, if I get better you'll be the first to know!  RAMONA

2 comments:

judi said...

love your frank honesty Ramona x

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

I think they are amazing!