13.11.12

BOOK OF THE WEEK

good golly miss molly

We'll all be seeing this book a lot over the next month methinks. Very English Mollie Makes magazine has harnessed a strong following since it started up a couple of years ago and has now produced this very sweet hardback Christmas book. I must admit I avoided  the magazine for many moons but since the inception of the iPad I've been downloading digital issues and catching up on the craze. I prefer its rival Making magazine (more substance over style - twice as many projects). I do have to admit that under all the cutesy stuff  in MM there is some good content that will appeal to fledgling crafters and people with more advanced skills (many of the knitting projects in the magazine are beyond me).

The book itself is beautifully produced. gorgeous paper, lovely styling and very generous in tone and spirit. It has some nice ideas in it, but is pretty useless if you are making gifts. It's pretty much for people wanting to hand make their decorations (wreathes, garlands, baubles). I loved the finger puppets - and the added suggestion of stuffing them and sewing them up so they could be decorations.

Being an import the magazine goes for the steep price of $15 at the local newsagency and a fairly hefty $7.50 on the iPad. The book is only available in paper form (why I wonder?) and is the same price as the magazine! It would actually make a really good present in itself. I got mine here because I'm a sucker for free shipping. It took a good two weeks to arrive tho so if you are in Melbourne you can buy it here. RAMONA

No comments: