10.7.12

BOOK OF THE WEEK

in stitches 
I was hoping to show you my friend ms J's birthday present today (as today is her actual birthday!) but I had a french seam incident that I am yet to recover from or unpick so I thought I'd show you what she bought me for Christmas instead. 
'Hoopla: the art of unexpected embroidery' is an inspirational craft book that combines projects, artist profiles, cultural reflection and contemporary analysis that is rare in this age of jolly hockey sticks craft writing. I've been working my way through it for the past month and I absolutely love it. 
clockwise top left: Eliot M Henning, Jo Safferton
Alexandra Walters, Claire Platt
When I say I've been working through it, I haven't tried any of the projects. It's so well researched and written it works perfectly as a good read. Author Leanne Prain was the co-author of Yarn Bombing (another great craft culture tome) and really takes the time to paint what feels like a really detailed picture of the current state of play in embroidery land.
Jacque Lynn Davis
At 400 pages this is no small book but it still muscled its way onto my bedside table - where it still is! Thanks Ms J - your birthday present is going to be a couple of days late...RAMONA
PS dear reader, you can buy this book at READINGS and ARTISAN BOOKS

No comments: