6.1.12

BAKE OFF OF THE WEEK

golden brown


I've been wanting to do some baking for my boys since before I did the annual Christmas cookieathon (153 cranberry and pistacchio shortbread cookies this year... a new record), but as we all know the difference between wanting and doing over the school holidays can be a very large divide. Still, once the January Jam Session was done (see yesterday's post) I managed a free half hour hour in the kitchen to try out something new.

Enter Donna Hay and her super easy biscuit recipe:
1 cup sifted plain flour
1 cup sifted icing sugar
1/2 cup sifted rice flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g chopped cold butter
1 food processor
about a cup of whatever the hell else you want to put in them...

Put flours, sugar, butter and vanilla into food processor and blend until the dough comes together. Add chopped extras - today I went for white chocolate and ginger. Wrap dough in glad wrap and refrigerate for around 15 minutes. Roll tablespoon portions into balls and place on baking papered tray. Flatten with your hand and cook 10-12 minutes at 160 degrees until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Makes around 25.


My dough was a little too buttery this time, and the oven a little hot, which is why they've spread a little more than they normally would. And with the white chocolate they're also a little sweeter than I usually like a biscuit. Still the boys don't care, and come afternoon tea time neither will I. BECK

No comments: